The students in my social media marketing classes must blog for 12 weeks. After 4 weeks this term I went around the room in one of the sections and asked for tips or tricks they have picked up on blogging, using WordPress, or sharing content. Each student came up with a unique tip or trick. I collected them below.
- Start writing the post, THEN do further research.
- I now select my picture before I finish writing the post – it helps tie it in.
- I watch YouTubes about blogging for inspiration and ideas.
- Look at trending topics for ideas.
- You are not writing an essay: Envision an informal conversation with a reader.
- I start writing before I complete an outline: sometimes I am surprised where it leads!
- Edit carefully and then have a trusted friend read it carefully.
- Continually brainstorm for ideas: never run out!
- Try video.
- Keep fresh by rotating media. Video. Write. Podcast. Repeat.
- If it is a timely topic…don’t wait for tomorrow. Get it out even if you must stay up.
- Make your posts personal and emotional.
- Double-check all links – bad links are a turnoff.
- Set the controls to auto-post my new articles on my social media.
- Use tags aggressively: experiment with “long tail” tags.
- Don’t forget to promote your blog in person! It doesn’t have to be online.
- I seek out other bloggers, social media groups, and forums on my topic.
- Actively promote content on Twitter.
- Actively engage other bloggers and content creators.
- Select a day and time – be consistent with posting.
- Share other people’s content; they may share yours.
- Snapchat isn’t great for links, but I post a pic of my new article.
- Don’t be afraid to promote to old friends and family on Facebook.
- Email can be a great place to promote a post.
- Pinterest isn’t just for weddings, recipes and decorating.
- Have a thick skin – promote on Reddit!
I think it is interesting to see their tips from 4 weeks…
What would you add?